Police say a man’s remains were found on July 22
From CBC NEWS

Colchester County residents are raising questions about police communication following weeks of rumours about the discovery of human remains near Debert, N.S.
On Thursday, Nova Scotia RCMP issued a press release confirming the remains of a man were found on July 22.
Residents told CBC News there was discussion in the community since late July about the discovery of remains, and there were online rumours that four bodies were found in the area.
When CBC News asked police about the rumours on Aug. 7, police said they were inaccurate. Police did not say that the remains of one person were found.
“We released details of the discovery, and the police activity taking place in the area, when it was appropriate to do so in support of the ongoing investigation,” an RCMP spokesperson said in an email to CBC News on Friday.
“Preserving the integrity of the investigative process and ensuring evidence could be properly collected and assessed were, and continue to be, our priorities.”
Multiple residents told CBC News they witnessed officers searching a clearcut area that’s accessible by a service road off Highway 4 near Debert.
The RCMP would not provide a more specific location than “wooded area in the vicinity of Debert” when asked on Friday.
Abby Clusiaux, who lives nearby on East Village Road, said she often takes her bicycle on the back roads near the search area, and ATV riders from a nearby campground also use those roads.
Clusiaux saw police officers searching in her neighbourhood, as did other area residents who spoke to CBC News on Friday.
“The non-communication. There was nothing. So it’s just disheartening,” said Clusiaux.
Clusiaux said the incident is worrisome for the area that was deeply impacted by the Nova Scotia mass shooting in 2020 that claimed the lives of 22 people. It started about 25 kilometres from Debert in Portapique, N.S.
RCMP say there is no risk to the public associated with the human remains, but they believe criminality is a factor in the man’s death.
The provincial medical examiner is working with police to determine the man’s identity and how he died.
Colchester North MLA Tom Taggart said he is confident in the RCMP investigation.
“It’s no secret that I was not happy with the RCMP and the communications previously during Portapique. I hate to even bring that up,” he told CBC News. “[But] in the last couple years, I have had a great relationship with them.”
An on-camera interview request with the Colchester District RCMP was declined. The authorities said in a statement the investigation remains in its early stages and no further details can be released at this time.

