A packed courtroom heard Janson Baker testify Wednesday that he was not responsible for the double murder he’s accused of committing.
“I did not kill Rose-Marie, I did not kill Bernard Saulnier,” said Baker.
The man accused in the double-murder trial of Rose-Marie and Bernard Saulnier took the stand in Moncton, N.B., as the defence began presenting evidence.
Speaking quickly, Baker told the jury he didn’t kill the elderly Dieppe couple.
“I am not a killer,” said Baker. “No amount of money in the world would get me to kill somebody.”
Baker has pleaded not guilty to two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of 78-year-old Bernard Saulnier and his wife, 74-year-old Rose-Marie Saulnier.
The Saulniers were both shot in the head in their Dieppe, N.B., home in the early-morning hours of Sept. 7, 2019.
Baker said listening to Crown witnesses testify he was responsible for the deaths of the Saulniers was incredibly frustrating because he couldn’t kill anyone.
Court previously heard from a witness who interacted with Baker while they were incarcerated.
The witness’ identity can not be revealed due to a publication ban.
On Jan. 12, the witness testified that Baker admitted to him that he was responsible for the murders of an elderly Dieppe couple.
Baker testified that he didn’t really know the witness that well while they were incarcerated and didn’t socialize with him.
“Prison is not a nice place to be,” he said.
Defence attorney Brian Munro asked Baker about the witness’ testimony.
“Oh, I’m aware of what he said,” said Baker. “I heard what he said.”
Baker, who seemed agitated when talking about the witness’ testimony, said it was “frustrating” hearing that and not being able to speak in his defence until today.
Munro asked Baker about his history with drugs and alcohol.
While clean now, Baker admitted he used to be an addict and began smoking marijuana at age 14 before moving on to alcohol and harder drugs.
“I did have an issue with drugs,” said Baker.
Baker admitted he began selling drugs during the summer of 2019 when he was on parole because he couldn’t find a job.
“My situation was less than ideal,” said Baker.
Baker said his supplier was Nick Bain, whose name has come up numerous times during the trial, but said they were not social.
“Our relationship was strictly drug transactional,” said Baker.
Munro asked Baker if he knew Jesse Logue, Chris Lennon and Monique Boyer, names that have also frequently come up over the past seven weeks.
Baker repeatedly said he didn’t know them at all and had no relationship with any of them whatsoever.
Logue was arrested on Aug. 28, 2019, as part of J-Trilogy, a massive drug raid that took place at several locations across the province.
Logue was charged with weapons and drug offences and remains in custody.
“I don’t know Jesse Logue at all,” said Baker.
One of the homes that was busted by police was a duplex in downtown Moncton that was owned by Sylvio Saulnier, son of Bernard and Rose-Marie.
Court previously heard that Sylvio was involved in the drug trade.
The court also learned Sylvio’s associates believed he was a police informant.
The Crown alleges Nick Bain directed Baker about killing Sylvio.
Mother of accused testifies
Defence attorney Brian Munro first called Julie Silliker, the mother of Baker.
“He’s my first born, he’s my son,” said Silliker.
Baker’s two sisters were in court, as well as other family members and supporters.
Silliker recalled a date in July of 2020 when she picked up her son from prison.
Silliker brought Baker and her two daughters to a restaurant in Moncton to celebrate him being released from prison.
She then testified about pawning a gold necklace Baker had in his possession at the Parlour Pawn in Moncton.
Silliker said she pawned the chain so Baker could “get some money to get on his feet.”
After his release, Baker lived with his family at their home as part of his release conditions.
“It was going OK at first,” said Silliker, who said her son had strict conditions. “We didn’t want drugs or alcohol in our house.”
Silliker was not cross-examined by the Crown prosecution.
Opening remarks
During his brief opening remarks, Munro told the jury to keep an open mind.
“We’re not done this trial yet,” said Munro.
More to come…..